Monday, August 31, 2009

Unfullfilled Ambitions - An Introduction

I have always been a sports fan and, to me, it really does not matter what the sport is. Some of my happiest childhood memories are of the times I spent in the ACC (Associated Cement Companies) Sports Club at Shahabad, Gulbarga, Karnataka. As I was growing up, I really did not know what profession I wanted to take up later in life. Some of the possibilities were - teacher, engineer and, of course, sports journalist. The last one was the most romantic for me and I used to think the ultimate joy would be in travelling around the world, covering various tournaments and events and interviewing the famous sports personalities. As it turned out, I became an engineer and soon fell in line with the saying "If you cannot do what you like, you should learn to like what you do". Having joined HAL (Hindustan Aeronautics Limited), I was presented with an opportunity to learn about the intriguing world of flight. And this learning filled my days, which turned into years, without me noticing it, which means that the time was well spent and my efforts were rewarded to my satisfaction - in short, I was happy. Now, as I am in my 25th year in the aeronautical industry, I wonder how I would have fared had I been a sports journalist. Forget about the travelling and the interviews - at least I can see how good my literary efforts are. Today's world of cable television means that we can witness many sporting events form the comfort of our living rooms. The urge to write is strong now and the perfect opportunity was presented yesterday - Force India notched up their first points, and first podium finish, in 30 races. So my maiden sports article will be on the Formula One race at Spa, Belguim on the 30th of August 2009. The only thing I request of all those who read this - please let me know your honest feedback; feel free to post your comments; and your criticism is welcome and will be used constructively.

No comments:

Post a Comment